Contact Center Specialist 1
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Hours are Monday through Friday 1:00 to 5:00, occasional Saturdays
POSITION SUMMARY: The Contact Center Specialist provides complete and accurate scheduling, registration, insurance verification, ordering of tests and coordination of applicable physician office and outpatient hospital services. This position assists patients with their stated and unstated needs by offering guidance and support while ensuring personal connections with each patient are made.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- The Contact Center Specialist I is fully trained in one of the two phases (I or III) outlined below.
- PHASE I
- Schedule Lab, Xray, EKG, DEXA and Breast Imaging appointments
- Accurately enter ancillary orders which may include the the need to interpret medical terminology given by other medical personnel
- Recognize and obtain the key items required when entering orders such as the ordering provider and the diagnosis code(s)
- Accurately obtain and enter the patient’s insurance information into the computer system
- Determine whether an appointment will require an insurance referral or authorization (and enter into system upon receipt) to ensure insurance payment is received
- Read and interpret the electronic verification responses received for insurance and update the system according to the responses
- PHASE III
- Address phone calls for Family Medicine and Specialty Medicine physician offices which may include scheduling appointments, creating encounters, transferring calls to Triage
- Schedule appointments in accordance to the instructions provided within the internal resource guide to ensure proper protocols are followed
- Adhere to the approved Escalation Protocols by prompting the patient with additional questions to determine the best course of action for the patient’s safety (i.e. schedule an appointment, transfer to Triage Nurse, call 911)
- Create and send telephone and triage encounters to physician offices using professional grammar and language to accurately relay the patient’s message
- Collaborate with both clinical and non-clinical physician office staff to ensure patient needs are addressed in a timely manner
- Obtain the patient’s insurance information to confirm participation and coverage
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Provide customer service by identifying and addressing patients’ needs through engaging personally and demonstrating strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate the abilty to successfully adapt to frequent changes of procedures, protocols and workflows
- Document in patients’ charts clearly and concisely to provide appropriate and accurate information to clinical personnel
- Completes other duties and special projects that are assigned by management.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- One (1) year of clerical, customer service, or administrative support experience in a highly customer oriented organization
- One (1) year experience with keyboarding, personal computer use, and other office setting equipment
- Three (3) years of clerical, customer service, or administrative support experience in a highly customer oriented organization
- One (1) year of medical office or hospital outpatient scheduling/registration experience
- One (1) year of electronic medical record experience
- One (1) year of prior revenue cycle in a medical office or hospital setting
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others.
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
New Learning and Memory: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material.
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
Problem Solving, Reasoning and Creative Thinking: The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought.
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products, Electronic Medical Record System
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Continuously 71-100%
- Stand: Rarely 0-10%
- Walk: Rarely 0-10%
- Bend: Rarely 0-10%
- Push: Rarely 0-10%
- Pull: Rarely 0-10%
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely 0-10%
- Reach: Rarely 0-10%
- Twist: Rarely 0-10%
- Balance: Rarely 0-10%
- Climb: Rarely 0-10%
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
- Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
- Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 01/14/2022