Coding Specialist (Full Time/ Day shift)
POSITION SUMMARY: Serves as a resource to Practices for coding issues and compliance, while adhering to official coding guidelines, for the purpose of assuring accuracy when billing insurance carriers.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
HOURS: Full Time (1.0 FTE; 40hrs/wk) Day Shift; Remote possibility once trained.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Act as coding resource for Practices and Patient Business/Financial Services and assist with coding-related issues.
- Prepare and present specific coding education as required.
- Review medical records for coding accuracy.
- Optimize revenue through utilization of most appropriate coding methods, following regulatory and insurance guidelines.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Prepare reports for administration as needed to summarize coding issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- HS diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Formal education in ICD-10-CM coding, CPT-4 coding, and medical terminology.
- Certification as a Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P) through AHIMA (American Health Information Association), or certified by AAPC (American Association Professional Coders) with certification as a Certified Professional Coder (CPC). If not certified, coding certification is required within (3) years of employment.
- Experience with Evaluation and Management coding (both office/outpatient and inpatient E/M)
- Three (3) to five (5) years of ICD-9-CM coding experience
- Three (3) to five (5) years of CPT-4 coding experience
- One (1) year experience with Physician Office billing software
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience with physician office billing
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 05/10/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.