Clinical Skills Educator
PA College Of Health Sciences
9791 Center for Excellence
Center for Excellence in Practice
*Intended Start Date for Position: Immediate Opening *
Position Summary: Reports to and assists the Clinical Skills Lab Coordinator in the provision of evidence-based learning opportunities, resource management/utilization, and program support in the Clinical Skills Lab environment. Supports faculty and students in nursing and allied health programs with skills-based learning activities. Facilitates students’ practice opportunities in the Clinical Skills Lab through individual or small group appointments as needed. Provides basic technical assistance for simulation activities as directed by the Director of the Center for Excellence in Practice and the Simulation Operations Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (ability to perform with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Promotes and contributes to the enhancement of a high performing learner-centered environment.
- Encourages a culture that promotes problem solving, clinical decision making, clinical competency and life-long learning.
- Assists with developing and refining learning experiences for use in the Skills Lab following collaboration with stakeholders to identify needs and ensure that lab experiences align with course content and objectives, as well as current best practice.
- Provides comprehensive services consistent with course objectives to students and faculty including practice and/or remediation, student feedback regarding skills acquisition, and feedback to faculty regarding student progress.
- Assists with planning, scheduling, resourcing, and communicating information relevant to practice labs and structured lab experiences.
- Provides orientation and recommendations to faculty and students regarding Skills Lab procedures and equipment use, including new equipment and software.
- Assists with establishing and updating policies and standard practices relevant to the Skills Lab.
- Assists with care and maintenance of lab and equipment to provide clean, safe and well-equipped labs. Orders and manages inventory of linens and lab supplies used within the Skills Lab or relevant to skill acquisition outside of the Skills Lab. Recommends the purchase of lab equipment and supplies as needs are identified.
- Assists with preparing, signing out, and restocking signed-out laboratory equipment.
- Provides basic technical assistance for simulation education as directed by the Simulation Operations Manager.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of records and reports relevant to Skills Lab utilization.
- Maintains currency with all skills and health assessment techniques taught within the nursing program.
- Participates in continuing education activities which increase knowledge base and skill performance relevant to developing expertise in the Skills Lab environment.
- Serves on College committees as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Skills Lab Coordinator and the Director of the Center for Excellence in Practice.
Specific Education, Certifications, and Licensure:
- BSN required (Salary reflects BSN requirement)
- Current Pennsylvania RN license.
- BLS certification required.
To perform this job successfully…..
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in acute care nursing.
- Knowledge of health care skills, equipment, and technology relevant to the clinical setting.
- Knowledge of safety standards and practices used in the clinical setting.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in providing clinical skills education and/or precepting of new graduate nurse and/or pre-licensure nursing students preferred
- 3 years of experience teaching in clinical setting preferred.
- Experience incorporating hands-on learning and simulation learning activities into education.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Leadership, control and planning: Ability to accept responsibility for leadership, direction, control, planning, negotiating, organizing, directing, supervising, formulating practices, or making final decisions.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies
Software: Microsoft Office Products
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Moderate, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 09/15/2023