Clinical Service Specialist - Downtown Family Medicine (Full-time, 32 hrs/week, Monday-Friday)
Lancaster General Hospital
7030 Downtown Family Medicine
Downtown Family Medicine- Patient Care
This position is located in Lancaster, PA at Downtown Family Medicine.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
HOURS: 4 - eight hour days. Occasional evening. No weekends/holidays
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides complete and accurate patient scheduling, registration, insurance verification, ordering of tests and coordination of applicable screening, diagnostic, physician office and outpatient hospital services. Capable of coordinating and communicating effectively during increased volumes or with complex patients. Assists with the delivery of direct, non-licensed patient care in accordance with established methods and procedures, under the supervision and guidance of appropriate personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Performs complete and accurate patient registration including but not limited to walk in, check-in, and/or scheduled.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully adapt and perform during times of high volumes and/or high patient acuity. Demonstrates skill to service both hospital and physician office patients, if necessary.
- Supports inbound and outbound calls to or from patients, guests, or appropriate parties as needed to provide services.
Patient Liability and Point of Service Collections
- Understands and supports Point of Service Collections. Performs all necessary functions needed to collect patient obligations.
- Refers patient to appropriate person for questions regarding; collections, insurance coverage, and financial assistance.
- Disseminates or discusses information with the patients regarding co-pays, out of pocket expenses, pre-appointment preparation, arrival times, etc.
E-Health Record Verification
- Verifies patient, guarantor, coverage and hospital account information. Performs required referral/authorization processes and enters orders for applicable tests.
- Understands insurance company coverage and referral/authorization requirements of payors. Performs electronic and manual verification of insurance coverage and understands how to read and accurately apply electronic insurance responses.
- Prepares and/or releases records or orders in the e-Health record. Scans all necessary documents into appropriate medical record. Understands the importance of patient’s medical information that is documented on paper. Sends all pertinent information to document imaging or heath information management team with in the established time frames.
- Completes documentation for compliance and regulatory needs and/or release of orders
- Retains knowledge and abides by all regulatory requirements pertaining to duties of position and overall operation of the Hospital (as applicable).
Complex Situations and/or Scheduling
- Screens and accurately relays messages using protocols established for emergent, urgent and non-urgent calls.
- Demonstrates ability to register unscheduled patients requiring a full financial clearance.
Work Queues- Understands how to complete patient and account
- Completes assigned patient scheduling and registration work queues according to performance standards.
- Ability to resolve work queue issues and missing registration items via electronic medical record.
- Completes cleaning tasks utilizing OSHA standards.
- Performs maintenance and/or inventory of equipment and supplies according to unit/department standards
- Maintains appearance of patient care and public areas
- Orders, stocks and distributes supplies to meet the needs of the unit/department
- Aware of cost containment practices and able to access need for changes in utilization
- Greets and escorts patient and visitors to and from clinic/exam room and prepares patient for visit with provider.
- Initiates patient visit/ follows up after visit when appropriate within scope and competency; following established standards.
- Prepares and assists provider with various procedures within scope and competency; following established guidelines
- Maintains clinical skills necessary to perform duty/job
- Performs clinical functions as required, including any of the following: Phlebotomy, Pain Management, EKG’s, Holter Monitors, 24 hour Blood Pressure Monitoring, and Point of Care Testing if needed based on departmental needs.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- May require regular travel to various sites within the region to support operational needs as listed above.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Completion of educational requirements (additional formal education/training; maximum supervision for initial competency; high degree associated risk factors; yearly competency evaluation and training).
- One (1) year prior experience of Revenue Cycle in a Hospital/Medical Office Setting AND/OR one (1) year administrative/data entry experience in a medical facility, health insurance or business setting.
- One (1) year of clerical, customer service, or administrative support experience in a highly customer-oriented organization.
- One (1) year experience with basic keyboarding, personal computer use, and other office setting equipment.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
Posted on 02/24/2020
- One (1) year of Epic (or equivalent Electronic Medical Record) experience.
- One (1) year of registration experience, point of service collection, insurance validation, understanding of compliance /regulatory guidelines and order release process(es).
- Epic or equivalent Electronic Medical Record experience.