Clinical Laboratory Access Representative (Part time/2nd shift)
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for the accurate, precise and timely logistics of laboratory specimens from both inpatient and outpatient areas. Duties include patient registration, insurance verification, lab test ordering and labeling laboratory specimens, distribution of patient reports, filing, and assisting with questions concerning Laboratory services and customer service expectations. This position is responsible for the rapid movement of clinical specimens from critical, emergency and acute care patients into the lab. Position relates to overall function of the laboratory and the hospital in view of patient care so test results are not compromised.
HOURS: 20 hours/week from 7pm-11pm. There are every other weekends, rotating holidays, and rotating "on-call". There are 6-8 weeks full time training on either 1st or 2nd shift.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Perform patient EPIC registration solely from various forms of documentation.
- Work between multiple computer applications simultaneously including those for insurance verification.
- Place laboratory orders, documenting all aspects of the specimen and order and understand entire test menu for proper order entry.
- Ensure specimen acceptability including patient identification, labeling, correctness of order, and registration.
- Process biological lab specimens accurately according to established procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Prioritize and organize work according to departmental processes including urgent, non-urgent, and emergent situations. Expedites critical specimens for emergency processing.
- Sort and distribute biological lab specimens accurately and according to priority.
- Operate automated specimen processing equipment.
- Meet expected turnaround time for laboratory standards.
- Troubleshoot clerical and specimen issues to resolution.
- Facilitate lab result distribution by a variety of methods such as phone, fax, and mail.
- Provide customer service to internal and external customers both in person and by telephone.
- Work cross-functionally with other laboratory and clinical areas providing support, including but not limited to, telephone support, report distribution of high priority results, and supply dispersal.
- Engage in quality measures for the laboratory ensuring quality care.
- Abide by all regulatory and compliance standards of the laboratory, including but not limited to the College of American Pathologists, PA DOH and TJC.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Manage departmental supplies.
- Train and mentor new employees or those with less experience.
- Identify opportunities and resources for professional growth and development.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Ability to work across multiple computer applications.
- Six (6) months employment in a healthcare setting.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 11/08/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.