Chaplain Associate I
Lancaster General Hospital
3015 Chaplaincy Care & Education
POSITION SUMMARY: The Chaplain Associate assists with on call coverage of the hospital and/or Women and Babies Hospital by providing pastoral care and a supportive presence for patients and families confronting the emotional and spiritual impact of hospitalization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Participates in delivering and arranging for appropriate pastoral care support to patients, families and staff in specific areas of the institution.
- Respond to requests for pastoral care in a timely manner.
- Participate in the meeting ritual and sacramental needs of patients.
- Identify and refer critical pastoral care needs to the staff chaplain of the department.
- Participates in maintenance of proper administrative procedures for the department in accordance with institutional policy.
- Document pastoral care activities to communicate with members of the department and other health care providers.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Assist the Pastoral Services Department in providing 24 hour pastoral care coverage.
- Provide pastoral services in such a way as to accomplish the institutional, as well as the departmental objectives. Function in a manner that reflects the mission and vision of the institution.
- Adhere to all Hospital standards, policies, and procedures. Adhere to the code of ethics of the Association of Professional Chaplains.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Completion of some graduate level theological courses from an accredited theological school or seminary OR demonstrated equivocal knowledge of theology, spirituality and pastoral counseling.
- Completion of one or more units of Clinical Pastoral Education.
- The interpersonal skills needed to work with distressed and anxious patients, families, and employees.
- The analytical ability to assess patients’ spiritual needs and sense of well-being and offer appropriate support and/or referral.
- An empathy for the problems experienced by patients and families; commitment to help the distressed.
- Excellent communication skills to support patients, families, and employees.
- Awareness of and commitment to fostering a climate of toleration and respect for the cultural diversity in the healthcare setting.
- Previous experience in crisis/trauma care.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- A large portion of this position required reliance on verbal memory and new learning. Efficiency in processing of verbal information, either in written or spoken form, is a major requirement and prerequisite of the job. The individual must be able to attend to and process multiple bits of information simultaneously. The individual must be able to organize and categorize this information effectively so that later recall is feasible.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position required much autonomy of thought and problem solving. The individual must be able to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to define problems. The individual must be able to think abstractly, which is manifested in the ability to form concepts, use categories, generalize from single instances, apply procedural rules and general principles, and be aware of subtle or intrinsic aspects of a problem. The development of hypothesis and potential solutions to problems involves careful interpretation, analysis and diagnosis. The individual must be able to collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. The individual must be able to think creatively with a degree of inventiveness, experimentation and intuition. They must be able to deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables.
TEMPERAMENTS: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Creativity, feelings or ideas: Ability to adapt to situations involving the interpretation of feelings, ideas, or facts in terms of personal viewpoint; to use creativity, self-expression, or imagination.
Influencing others: Ability to influence people in their opinions, attitudes or judgments about ideas or things; to motivate, convince or negotiate.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job. Is subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Planning and control: Ability to identify task requirements and monitor progress toward accomplishment.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: computer, office supplies.
Software: word processing, patient information system.
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Frequently
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Occasionally
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 12/03/2019