Chaplain Associate (4 hours/week)
POSITION SUMMARY: The Chaplain Associate assists with on call coverage of the hospital and/or Women and Babies Hospital by providing pastoral care and a supportive presence for patients and families confronting the emotional and spiritual impact of hospitalization.
HOURS: 4 hours/week. This job requires a work schedule that allows for evenings, overnights, weekends, and be on call for women and babies back up on a per diem schedule.
LOCATION: Lancaster, PA
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Participates in delivering and arranging for appropriate pastoral care support to patients, families and staff in specific areas of the institution.
- Respond to requests for pastoral care in a timely manner.
- Participate in the meeting ritual and sacramental needs of patients.
- Identify and refer critical pastoral care needs to the staff chaplain of the department.
- Participates in maintenance of proper administrative procedures for the department in accordance with institutional policy.
- Document pastoral care activities to communicate with members of the department and other health care providers.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Assist the Pastoral Services Department in providing 24 hour pastoral care coverage.
- Provide pastoral services in such a way as to accomplish the institutional, as well as the departmental objectives. Function in a manner that reflects the mission and vision of the institution.
- Adhere to all Hospital standards, policies, and procedures. Adhere to the code of ethics of the Association of Professional Chaplains.
- Participates in the on-call responsibilities for this position as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Completion of some graduate level theological courses from an accredited theological school or seminary OR demonstrated equivocal knowledge of theology, spirituality and pastoral counseling.
- Completion of 1 unit of Clinical Pastoral Education.
- The interpersonal skills needed to work with distressed and anxious patients, families, and employees.
- The analytical ability to assess patients’ spiritual needs and sense of well-being and offer appropriate support and/or referral.
- An empathy for the problems experienced by patients and families; commitment to help the distressed.
- Excellent communication skills to support patients, families, and employees.
- Awareness of and commitment to fostering a climate of toleration and respect for the cultural diversity in the healthcare setting.
- Previous experience in crisis/trauma care.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely. #LI-MD1
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 01/17/2023
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.