Certified Tumor Registrar (16hrs/week)
Lancaster General Hospital
9040 Oncology Data Management
Oncology Data Management
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for complete and accurate review of all cancer patient records, collecting data for the PA Cancer Registry (PCR), the National Cancer Data Base (NCDB), and the American College of Surgeons (ACoS).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Identifies, registers and maintains records of patients diagnosed and treated for cancer to provide data for physicians, program management as well as to comply with government regulations and research studies.
- Analyzes data and disseminates information.
- Prepares statistical, narrative and graphic presentations of cancer registry data for use by users of registry data.
- Interacts and communicates with other departments and staff within the organization as well as other health care providers and facilities. Must be able to verbalize data elements and provide analysis to physicians and health care providers.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participates in training of new staff coming into the department.
- Coordinates agenda and activities relating to the Cancer Committee and other cancer related activities.
- Coordinates the tumor board data for Cancer Committee reporting and ACoS survey applications.
- Keeps track of the quality metrics for abstraction and shares results as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Associate’s degree or higher is required.
- Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) Certification, from an accredited institution, is required within three (3) years of hire.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Strong working knowledge of computers and software applications.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Completion of two courses in Anatomy and Physiology (I and II) is preferred.
- CTR Certification from an accredited institution, or certification eligible, is preferred.
ATTENTION/CONCENTRATION – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others:
- The position requires strong concentration skills. The individual must have the ability to voluntarily sustain concentration to a task over an extended period of time as a result of an effortful and usually deliberate heightened and focused state of attention.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY – The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
- The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions in mandatory.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING – The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
- The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act:
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, Dictaphone, microfilm reader, tape recorder, x-ray view box, transcriber, VCR, copier, scissors, printer
Software: Microsoft Office Products, Clinical information system
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Continuously
- Stand: Occasionally
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Rarely
- Push: Rarely
- Pull: Rarely
- Kneel/Squat: Rarely
- Reach: Rarely
- Twist: Rarely
- Balance: Rarely
- Climb: Rarely
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is:
Light, exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 10/30/2019