Certified First Assistant-Surgical Technician -WBH/SOP
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job, we ask that you Live Your Legacy at LGH by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have attained five year Magnet ® recognition status for the fifth time with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers a comprehensive benefits package:
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program so that our employees can stay actively engaged and committed to living their legacy every day. Together, we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Job Title: Certified First Assistant-Surgical Technician
This position is located in Lancaster, PA
$7,500 sign on minus taxes with 2 year committment
Full-time, 1.0, 80 hr per two weeks working dayshift hours 8,10 or 12 hou shifts with every third weekend, one summer/one winter hol with minimal on call and rare overnite coverage
- ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
POSITION SUMMARY: Manages a focused surgical program, consistent with the mission of the Department of Surgical Services, by performing a variety of duties related to the preparation, processing and arrangement of surgical instruments, supplies and staffing coordinating with the physicians and Surgical Specialty Supervisor to ensure continuity of care based on knowledge of clinical needs of patients, established standards of care and resource utilization. Also assists in the delivery of patient care by handling instruments during operative procedures and by performing a variety of duties related to the preparation, processing and arrangement of surgical instruments and supplies under a Registered Nurse during other operative procedures not related to the focused surgical programs. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: neonatal (birth to 30 days), pediatric (30 days through 12 years), adolescent (13 through 18 years), adult (19 through 64 years), and geriatric (65 years and above).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Provides primary surgical assistance to the surgeon during the operative procedure. Functions as first assistant to the surgeon by handling tissue, using instruments to provide wound exposure and hemostasis, suction, sponge and bovie when needed, cutting and clipping tissue and tying suture as directed by surgeon, which may include closure of surgical wound. Demonstrates expertise with laparoscopic equipment and techniques.
- Works with Surgical Specialty Supervisor and Perioperative Management Team to develop and establish focused surgical programs including but not limited to educational requirements and programs, instrument and supply requirements, coordination of staffing, development of processes and procedures and support processes.
- Directs daily room activities in their focused programs working cooperatively with their Surgical Specialty Supervisor and physicians to maximize operational efficiency and staff and physician support.
- Establishes rapport with physicians and provides accurate technical and operational recommendations. Discusses any physician concerns and issues with Surgical Specialty Supervisor.
- Functions as a patient, staff and physician advocate – especially as it pertains to their program area.
- Assures that all LGH, department of Surgical Services and LHA policies and procedures are followed.
- Takes corrective action to eliminate inter/intradepartmental problems. Reports problems beyond his/her scope of responsibility to the Surgical Specialty Supervisor.
- Utilizes techniques of infection control. Monitors all personnel for compliance with aseptic techniques and safety standards.
- Secures, sets up and otherwise prepares the Operating Room equipment, instruments and supplies. Adjusts equipment within the Operating Room to meet the needs of the surgeon and operative requirements.
- Anticipates and supplies surgeon's needs for instruments, supplies and equipment in such a way that the surgeon need not divert his/her attention from the operative field.
- Identifies emergency situations and responds in a calm and efficient manner. Recognizes surgical complications and anticipates corrective measures, assuring expeditious treatment.
- Cares for contaminated instruments and supplies during and after the surgical procedures utilizing appropriate environmental control techniques.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technology program.
If hired after 12/28/2020, must be certified Surgical Technologist within 6 months of hire or validation of completion of a surgical military training program (Army, Navy or Air Force).
All individuals hired after 12/29/2022, must be certified Surgical Technologist within 6 months of hire or validation of completion of a surgical military training program (Army, Navy or Air Force).
Graduate from a CAAHEP-accredited surgical assistant program.
Must become a Certified First Assistant (CST-FA) within two years of graduation from surgical assistant program.
CPR Certification required.
Five (5) years of Operating Room experience.
One (1) year of experience in focused program that position will be responsible for (i.e. Bariatrics, Transplant, Robotics, etc.).
One (1) year of leadership experience.
This position requires a license or certification
This position requires FBI and child abuse clearances
Benefits of Joining Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH combines a Nationally Ranked Hospital with great schools, safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, local community events and festivals as well as a wealth of cultural and recreational activities. The scenic Susquehanna River Valley provides opportunities for fishing, skiing, kayaking, hiking and mountain biking in addition to easy access to NJ shoreline or Delaware beaches. Urban life is easily accessible, with New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. a train ride away. Local universities, Fulton Theatre, the downtown shopping and dining district and local sports teams make Lancaster a great place to Live, Work and Play.
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
Posted on 09/14/2021