Centralized Triage Nurse-Burle Bldng- (40 hours/week, 1st & 2nd shift)
Lancaster General Hospital
7195 Nursing Admin - Primary Care
Nursing Primary Care
40 hours/week. Hours vary Monday-Friday between 7:00 am and 9 pm. Occasional Saturdays between 7 am and 12 pm. No major holidays or on-call.
If you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. We will send the assessment to the e-mail address that you included on your application. Please also check your junk/spam e-mail folder and complete the assessment within 5 days of receiving it. For more information, please click https://www.lghealthjobs.org/FAQS
POSITION SUMMARY: This position will provide support to providers, staff and patients who fall under the auspices of the LGHP (Lancaster General Health Physicians) and/or partnering practices. Responsible for the telephonic/electronic intake, assessment, planning, coordination, and implementation of standardized protocols relating to patient symptoms and dispensation of medical advice. The triage nurse will assist with triage in the EMR inbasket and nurse telephone line, nurse case management, collaboration with clinical teams, clinicians, and other departments as necessary, and provide quality patient care in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and accreditation standards. This patient-centered position delivers services with focus on customer service and symptom management. This nurse works with all primary care practices to assist with triage duties and related tasks.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Monitors and responds to triage calls in person, through the the nurse phone line and/or via an EPIC inbasket.
- Talks directly to patients on the telephone and directs them to emergency rooms/urgent care centers, dispenses home care advice, or schedules appointments with health care clinicians during office hours.
- Determines urgency of seeing patient based on brief assessment and familiarity with patient’s condition and history.
- Uses computerized, evidence-based clinical decision making including algorithms.
- Sends patients with high-risk chief complaints such as chest pain, abdominal pain, or severe headaches to emergency departments immediately or arranges for an ambulance.
- Provides appropriate home health advice to patients who do not need to go directly to the emergency room, and schedules appointment with provider as necessary.
- Ensures accurate documentation forall conversations and treatments are recorded in patient’s electronic medical record.
- Arranges appointments for patients who do not need to go to the emergency room but need to see a physician. Consults with clinicians as needed.
- Provides generalized health information as appropriate when patients have questions, i.e. “Do I need a flu shot?”
- Serves as a clinical resource and professional role model for other nursing staff.
- Prioritizes work tasks and services and completes them in a timely manner.
- Assists in medical chart reviews and compiling data for audits and reports.
- Maintains accurate, clear and concise progress notes, problem lists, and medication lists.
- Provides patient education regarding disease processes, therapies, and healthful behaviors.
- Communicates appropriately and tactfully with all staff, patients, families, consultants, and community members in accordance with the Penn Medicine Experience Standards.
- Provides timely response to calls and patient/staff inquiries.
- Participates in staff, planning, in-service, and other meetings as needed.
Posted on 09/30/2019
- Current licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse, or Registered Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing required.
- Healthcare BLS
- Minimum of Three (3) years of clinical experience in direct patient care, preferably ambulatory care setting
- Current CPR certification
- Strong customer service skills
- Bilingual preferred.
- Computer skills and knowledge of word processing preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in an independent environment preferred.