Central Utility Plant Operations Mechanic
Lancaster General Hospital
1520 Operation of Plant
Operation of Plant
This position ensures the safe and efficient operations of the Central Utility Plant while monitoring and responding to changes in operating conditions and system load demands to maintain continuous plant performance. Operation and monitoring of the Central Utility Plant equipment includes, but is not limited to the Combustion Steam Turbine Generator, Heat Recovery Steam Generator, Gas Compressor, Chillers, Boilers, Motors, Pumps and other auxiliary equipment. This position works under the direct of Plant Engineering and will require on-call rotation to support the Central Utility Plant operations and scheduled maintenance shutdowns.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Reads meters, gauges or automatic recording devices at specific intervals to verify plant operating conditions and maximize facility efficiency. Records operating data and analyzes data for trends.
- Uses plant operating procedures and equipment technical manuals to start, stop, adjust or modify equipment operations to ensure all equipment is operated within the recommended operating range.
- Assists in the maintenance of equipment by performing predictive/preventative maintenance, identifying equipment in need of corrective maintenance and performing disassembly, repair and overhaul of equipment as required.
- Keeps management, supervisors and employees fully informed of unusual conditions, damaged equipment and current job progress as the job relates to facility operations.
- Maintains equipment by tightening fittings, replacing valve packings, gaskets, valves and gauges. Cleaning, repairing, oiling and lubricating other component parts and equipment as required.
- Opens and closes valves and/or circuit breakers as required for proper system operation and isolation.
- Maintains current proficiency in operating and implementing procedures for safety, fire, security and utility emergencies (includes electrical, HVAC, water, steam and plumbing). Demonstrates knowledge of the organization’s mission and core values and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
- Assists in training other team members on the daily operation, monitoring and maintenance of the plant equipment.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Works with trades, contractors, engineers, supervisors and management to meet the goals and objectives of the department.
- Responsible for the appearance and housekeeping of the Central Utility Plant.
- Assist with call-outs and covers off-hour shifts as required to support the reliable operation of the plant.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma and equivalent trades/technical training with background in electrical, mechanic, plumbing and controls.
Three (3) years of electrical experience,.
Two (2) years of mechanical/plumbing experience.
One (1) year each of welding/cutting/metal fabrication and automated industrial control.
- Prior experience as a Control Room Operator in a power plant or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess ability to read and interpret electrical single line schematic diagrams, mechanical P&ID drawings, O&M manuals and safety manuals.
- Must have a strong mechanical aptitude in operating systems, high pressure steam boilers, combustion turbine and other Central Utility Plant control systems (SCADA, BAS).
- Must be self-motivated and able to complete assignments with little supervision.
- Must possess a valid PA Driver’s License.
- Five (5) years experience in a Central Utility Plant operations.
- Four (4) or more years of electrical experience.
- Three (3) or more years of mechanical/plumbing experience.
- Formal technical/vocational training and journeyman experience.
Attention/Concentration: The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to focus on certain aspects of current experience and reject others.
The position requires the ability to attend to more than one aspect of a situation simultaneously. It is highly likely that multiple task demands are going to be required of the individual at the same time.
NEW LEARNING AND MEMORY ‑ The following level of ability is essential for the jobholder to learn and retain material:
The position requires that an individual be able to learn new tasks quickly and effectively. Job requirements change frequently. The ability to understand and carry out detailed, involved instructions is mandatory.
PROBLEM SOLVING, REASONING AND CREATIVE THINKING ‑ The following level of ability that is essential for the jobholder to think (in order to solve a problem) by combining two or more elements from past experience or imaginative thought:
The position deals with issues or problems that often require thoughtful reasoning before arriving at approaches or solutions. Some independent thought, planning or origination of options and solutions is necessary. The individual must have the ability to apply principles of reasoning and problem solving to resolve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
APTITUDES: The following are essential requirements of the position in relation to job-worker situations. These items describe how a worker must adapt, adjust, conform or act.
Repetitive work: Ability to continuously perform the same type of work for extended periods of time, according to set procedures, sequence or pace.
Performing under stressful conditions: Ability to perform under stress when confronted with emergency, critical, unusual, or dangerous situations, or in situations in which working speed and sustained attention are critical aspects of the job; to be subject to danger or risk, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Variety and change: Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure involving significant differences in technologies, techniques, procedures, environmental factors, physical demands, or work situations.
Communication: Ability to exchange information with others clearly and concisely; to present ideas, facts and technical information.
Interpersonal relations: Ability to maintain relationships that facilitate task accomplishment; to cooperate and resolve conflicts; to recognize needs and be sensitive of others.
EQUIPMENT USAGE REQUIREMENTS
Equipment/Tools: Computer, Phone, Copier, Printer, Fax, Office Supplies, snow removal equipment, press, truck/plow, tractors, augers, welders, torches, wet vac, bend saws, table saw, arm saw, calculator, amp probe, circuit tracer, digital tech, open circuit tracer, microwave leak meter, heat detector, phase rotation indicator, high-voltage detector, tension tester, clock generator, meg ohmmeter, sound meter, VSR drill, drill press, hammer drill, circular saw, grinder, screwdrivers, hammers, cutters, measuring devices, levels/plumb bob, squares, conduit bonders, welders, press, wrenches.
Software: Microsoft Office Products, HVAC, fire system, phone system, energy management.
Rarely 0-10%; Occasionally 11-35%; Frequently 36-70%; Continuously 71-100%
- Sit: Occasionally
- Stand: Frequently
- Walk: Frequently
- Bend: Occasionally
- Push: Occasionally
- Pull: Occasionally
- Kneel/Squat: Occasioanlly
- Reach: Occasionally
- Twist: Occasionally
- Balance: Frequently
Lifting: Degree of physical exertion is: Heavy, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Sensory Abilities specifically required:
Exposure to hazardous conditions/ materials is negligible.
Position involves exposure to the following harmful elements:
- Bio hazardous Waste
- Blood borne Pathogens
- Extreme Noise Levels
- Extreme Temperatures
- Exposed Electrical Lines
- High Pressure Steam/Gas
- Moving/Rotating Machinery
- Radioactive Agents
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely.
Posted on 12/09/2019