Blood Donor Phlebotomist (Part-Time / Varied )
POSITION SUMMARY: Processes and evaluates prospective donors; performs donor phlebotomies and aids in donor recruitment. Patient care includes care to patients in the following age groups: adolescent (16 through 18 years), adult (19 through 64 years), and geriatric (65 years and above).
LOCATION: Suburban Outpatient Pavilion
HOURS: Part-Time, (24 hours a week), Varied, Hours vary between 6:00am and 9:00pm. Monday through Friday with a rare Saturday. No Sunday or Holiday hours. Must be willing to drive to various blood drive locations throughout Lancaster County. Flexibility in scheduling is also important.
600.00 SIGN ON BONUS (External applicants only)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Greets donors/ patients and explains the medical history card and necessary forms to be completed, as well as the procedure involved in the donation process of regular, autologous and directed donors.
- Completes computer registration of prospective donors, checking all pertinent data for accuracy and documenting any deferral codes on donor card.
- Obtains vital signs of regular, autologous and directed donors, and evaluates the medical history according to AABB procedures, FDA and laboratory guidelines. Evaluates final donor acceptability based on medical history interpretation and condition.
- Performs donor phlebotomy including labeling and tagging of all autologous and directed donor units. Monitors donor for adverse reactions following AABB and standard operating procedures.
- Opens therapeutic phlebotomy patient accounts in EPIC, obtaining a billing number and patient signature as required for treatment.
- Performs therapeutic phlebotomy procedures in the donor room or at the bedside in accordance with the physician's order and under the Medical Director's approval.
- Administers post-phlebotomy care and treats reactions as they occur under the direction of an RN or physician. Documents all reactions and refer to Medical Director as needed.
- Travels to and performs set up of mobile blood collection sites and maintains supplies and materials for both fixed and mobile site areas. Transports supplies or job materials as needed.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Monitors and replenishes stock of materials used as time permits.
- Performs routine scheduled cleaning and decontamination of instruments and work surfaces, and performance verification of donor scales.
- Assists in donor recruitment - calling in donors as requested by Donor Center Supervisor or Donor Recruiter.
- Assists with clerical work - filing donor cards, patient treatment records, making appointments, creating, laminating and mailing donor type cards and answering the telephone.
- Participates in, prepares for, provides transportation to and establishes a donor room environment at mobile blood drives, as scheduled by Donor Recruiter.
- Performs and records QC parameters according to established control limits. Reports all out-of-range situations to Donor Center Supervisor and implements corrective action as indicated.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license for off-site mobile blood drives.
- CPR certification.
- Certification as Phlebotomy Technician, PBT (ASCP).
- Six (6) months employment in a healthcare setting required; blood center or blood donor collection center is preferred.
- One (1) year of phlebotomy experience preferably in a blood donor or blood center setting.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely. #LI-MD1 #CB
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
Posted on 08/04/2022
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.