Blood Donor Phlebotomist (40hrs/week, 1st shift)
Lancaster General Hospital
5020 LAB-Blood Bank Donor Room
Laboratory - Blood Bank Donor Room
Job Title: Blood Donor Phlebotomist
This position is located in Lancaster County, PA.
Full-time 1.0., 80 hours per two weeks working variable hours between 7:00 am and 9:00 pm with rare Saturdays, no Sundays or holidays. Drivers license required.
ATTENTION: Please be aware that, if you are an external applicant, you may need to complete an online assessment as part of the hiring process. This assessment will be sent to the e-mail address that you included in your application. Please note: Some e-mail accounts may receive the assessment e-mail in their junk/spam e-mail. This assessment must be completed within 5 days of receiving it. For more information regarding the assessment, please click HERE.
SUMMARY: Lancaster General Health/Penn Medicine is currently seeking a Blood Donor Phlebotomist. The Blood Donor Phlebotomist processes and evaluates prospective donors; performs donor phlebotomies and aids in donor recruitment. Prepares blood components from donated blood.
- Greets donors/ patients and explains the medical history card and necessary forms to be completed, as well as the procedure involved in the donation process of regular, autologous and directed donors.
- Completes computer registration of prospective donors, checking all pertinent data for accuracy and documenting any deferral codes on donor card.
- Obtains vital signs of regular, autologous and directed donors, and evaluates the medical history according to AABB procedures, FDA and laboratory guidelines. Evaluates final donor acceptability based on medical history interpretation and condition.
- Performs donor phlebotomy including labeling and tagging of all autologous and directed donor units. Monitors donor for adverse reactions following AABB and standard operating procedures.
- Performs therapeutic phlebotomy procedures in the donor room or at the bedside in accordance with the physician's order and under the Medical Director's approval.
- Administers post-phlebotomy care and treats reactions as they occur under the direction of an RN or physician. Documents all reactions and refer to Medical Director as needed. ●
- Travels to and performs set up of mobile blood collection sites and maintains supplies and materials for both fixed and mobile site areas.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
● High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
● Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license for off-site mobile blood drives.
● CPR certification.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: ● Certification as Phlebotomy Technician, PBT (ASCP)
. ● Six (6) months employment in a healthcare setting required; blood center or blood donor collection center is preferred.
● One (1) year of phlebotomy experience preferably in a blood donor or blood center setting
This position requires a valid PA Driver's License and Motor Vehicle Report.
Posted on 11/27/2019