Advanced Practice Provider - Surgical Specialty - 1.0 FTE
Lancaster General Medical Grp
61238 NeuroScience and Spine Assoc.
NeuroScience & Spine Providers
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for performing medical diagnosis and prescription of medical therapeutic or corrective measures in the adult neurosurgical setting, in collaboration with and under the direction of the physicians at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health Physicians - NeuroScience & Spine Associates (LNSA). Serves as Surgical First Assist to LNSA neurosurgeons:.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Follows-up on test results, response to treatments and medications, and consultant’s recommendations.
- Suggests a diagnosis, formulates a plan of care, evaluates the response to the plan, and revises the plan as needed, collaborating with or referring to a physician.
- Performs clinical procedures including, but not limited to:
Suturing and removal of sutures/skin staples
Serving as clinical first assistant in surgery
Halo management; wound care; cervical collar fitting, etc.
- Initiates appropriate evaluation and management in emergency situations.
- Assists the physicians in obtaining informed consent or informed refusal to treatment plan.
- Initiates admission orders in collaboration with physicians.
- Morning hospital rounds to assist surgeons with patient discharges.
- Provides comprehensive preventative care and counseling regarding risk factor modification in areas such as diet, exercise, stress reduction, and smoking cessation.
- Evaluates and manages patients with chronic pain conditions.
- Documents all patient communications / medications prescribed, either by dictation in the patient medical record or in patient management computer system notes.
- Evaluates patients following hospital admissions with regard to the established medical plan, making adjustments accordingly.
- Identifies patient/family educational needs and, in collaboration with staff/office nurses, provides patient/family education. Provides pre- and post-operative education.
- Acts as an advocate for the patient/family, encouraging participation in decision-making and care.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Provide for the educational needs of the patient/family through verbal and written teaching and development of educational materials.
- Provide for the educational needs of the pre-hospital, nursing, physician staff by discussion, didactic sessions/presentations, trauma nurse course and development of educational materials and programs.
- Provide for the educational needs of the community through verbal and written teaching and development of injury prevention and outreach materials.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Current license as a Physician Assistant by PA Board of Medicine or Certified Nurse Practitioner with the American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Graduate of Accredited Physician Assistant or Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner training program.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
Posted on 04/03/2019
- Minimum one year experience as a Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner
- Operating room experience